Community radio services are provided on a not-for-profit basis, focusing on the delivery of specific social benefits to a particular area or community of interest.
More than 250 community radio stations are currently on air.
The eight new community radio licences have been awarded to:
2tr (Two Towns Radio) (Basingstoke Broadcasting Company Limited)
Contact name: Matthew Perry-Vaughan
2tr will be a community radio service for Reading with a particular focus on listeners under-40.
Buchan Radio (Buchan Community Radio CIC)Contact name: John Cropley
Buchan Radio will broadcast to communities in Peterhead and the surrounding areas.
East Leeds FM (Heads Together Productions Limited)
Contact name: Adrian Sinclair
East Leeds FM will be an arts-based community radio service targeting disadvantaged communities in East Leeds.
Groove City Radio (Groove City Radio Limited)Contact name: Paul Mulholland
Groove City Radio will be a specialist music service for 20-50 year-old listeners in Glasgow, featuring dance, soul, electronic and house music.
Leeds Dance Community Radio (Leeds Dance Community Radio Limited)
Contact name: Lyall Cardis
Leeds Dance Community Radio will be a specialist urban and dance music service for listeners in Leeds.
Revival FM (Revival FM (Glasgow) Limited)Contact name: Anne Kelly
Revival FM will be a community radio service offering a Christian perspective for listeners in Glasgow.
The Flash (The Flash On Air Limited)
Contact name: Martin Kirby
The Flash will serve musicians and the wider community of Waterlooville with a focus on original music from local artists and rock, blues and folk.
Vanny Radio (Vanny Radio-Community Broadcasters)
Contact name: Cherry Spencer
Vanny Radio will serve the BME community and young people under the age of 25 in Coventry.
The licences are awarded for a five-year period. A statement setting out the main determining factors for the award of the licences above (PDF, 346.5 KB) can be found on the Ofcom website.
In addition to the licence awards, Ofcom considered two further applications, but decided not to award a licence to the following:
- Abusua Radio (Abusua Radio UK), Leeds
- Akash Radio Leeds (Akash Radio Leeds Limited)
- Asian Air Radio (Asian Air Limited), Sparkhill, Sparkbrook, Small Heath, Bordesley Green, Moseley and Kings Heath in Birmingham;
- Chak De FM (Chak De FM Limited), Birmingham and Sandwell;
- Indus Radio (Indus Community Radio Limited), Birmingham and Sandwell;
- Radio Central (Radio Central Limited), Birmingham;
- Sahara Radio (Sahara Radio), Birmingham
- Radio India (Radio India Limited), Metropolitan Borough of Dudley;
- Regen FM (Regen Media Group Limited), Tottenham and Haringey, London.
- Gorgeous FM (Gorgeous FM Limited), Wolverhampton and Dudley.
https://parkfarmneighbourhoodwatch.blogspot.com E&OE Julian Bray Editor Tel:+44 (0)1733 345581 .